Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Beginning

I am surrounded by boys!  As such, I am constantly overhearing crazy conversations.  One Sunday afternoon a few months ago, as I was in my room with the door wide open, I heard the conversation that has driven me to online blogging.  At first I thought I should publish a book - and even started a collection of the things I heard, but then realized it would be years before the world would have a chance to enjoy what I do daily. 

So, after doing a little research, here I am.  The story that started it all....farting!  I know it is my job to teach these boys right from wrong, but I just can't compete with the fart.  I can't even keep track of the number of times I've said, "please don't do that at the table" and "not in the car!"  I know they know, but I guess the humor behind it is too much - a far greater power than mom's words.

Enter the oldest, dragging himself to the table at 1pm (wake-up time in the teenage world) for breakfast.  He's quietly munching on a bowl of Fruit Loops as I'm heading out of the laundry room for the fifth time with folded clothes.  I almost made it out of the room when, you guessed it, he farts!  Now, I know I've said it before, "not at the table!"  but I say it again anyway.  He says, "Sorry but you were all the way over there!"  I respond with, "It doesn't matter!  The air is on and blowing in this direction," and continue on my original quest to put away the laundry as he giggles in the background.  

As I'm folding the clothes in my room, I hear him laughing harder, at a conversation he is now having with another one of the boys in the house.  "Wouldn't it be funny if I farted over here, you farted over there, and the wind caught them and combined them?"  I'm not trying to eavesdrop on them, but who can help but listen to that?  The conversation went on for 5 to 10 minutes, slowly bringing in the scientific aspects of what would have to happen for the "breezes" to combine into one huge "fart tornado." 

As if I'll ever be able to compete with that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment